In 2017 the O’Doherty’s Keep Development Group have launched a project to carry out a restoration of the Keep through a careful conservation led restoration programme.
The overall aims and objectives of the Project are:
- To provide a unique, authentic and relevant visitor experience to this most scenic location through careful conservation led restoration of the Keep including reinstatement of the floors and roof.
- To provide on site a visitor experience all about our ancestors as “Dochartach” descendants - coming to Ireland - you are not so much a visitor - rather you are a home comer!
- A major objective is to connect or reconnect with all of the descendants worldwide and to provide reassurance that you are a descendant of the Dochartach Clan from this origin. - As the definition of Heritage states – “That which we inherit”... therefore this project belongs to you!
- We hope to make O’ Doherty’s Keep into a place of welcome and of wonderful emotion, as well as learning and of architecture for all - and connecting with all of this - our cultural heritage - which is a manifestation of our history and our roots.
The first stage of the project will involve raising the necessary funds for the preparation of the Conservation Plan in collaboration with the national monuments authorities and our expert conservation architects. The Conservation Plan when available will direct the conservation of the Keep structure and it's immediate site and also provide a focus for research about the site. This Conservation Plan will be submitted for state approval in order to proceed with a full scale restoration of the Keep.
We are seeking your financial support. All funds raised will go directly towards the feasibility study, conservation planning and the restoration project.
What We've Achieved
- Our National Monuments Service have given us approval to proceed with Stage 1 Feasibility Stage of the Plan leading to the Conservation Plan.
- The Group have agreed a long term lease with the owner to develop and maintain the Keep.
- So far our project has obtained important "Letters of Support" from The Minister for the Diaspora, Local Politicians, Failte Ireland, The O'Dochartaigh Clan,The Creative Ireland Programme and Local Heritage Societies in support of our initiative.
- Together with our Conservation Architects we have put together a panel of specialists from a number of disciplines to carry the required detailed work involved in Stage 1 feasibility study investigations.